Wednesday 18 June 2014

Plasma overload


Woohoo !! my most ambitious part of our show garden is coming together brilliantly. You've seen the progress on the structure in previous blog posts, well over the past few days I've been working on the icing of the cake - the sky light which is set into the centre of the pavilion roof , there will be a living roof around the edges of the roof, but the centre has a plasma cut panel , I had various ideas for the design , tree canopy , flowers , leaf patterns, birds , butterflies but I just couldn't decide on one , then as I thought about the garden and the ideas behind its inspiration , it's really about bringing nature in to the city , pollinating insects , birds , plants , flowers , growing food , so I created a design combining it all , the tree canopies are around the edges with birds in flight , then it moves to flowers and fruits and veg such as raspberries and beans then butterflies and moths and finally in the centre bees and honey comb . Local artist Sue  Shields has been coming over lately to work on her own pieces for an exhibition and helped me to understand how to overlap the drawings so  that they connect for cutting out the negative spaces . It's been a great challenge and I've learned masses through the process. The drawing out took an age but its all about the preparation , and I'm glad I took the Time . I started cutting the 2.5m x1.25m sheet of steel on Monday and finished it lunch time today (wed) and was literally jubilant ! Brian , dad and Sue all seemed to turn up at the same time and we put it in the frame , we still need to weld it in place , because its sagging in the middle a bit , but I layed underneath it and it looks awesome (I never say that about my work ) but it did with the sky behind it and the shadows it created on the ground

No comments:

Post a Comment