Sunday 11 May 2014

Oil drum jigsaw


Over the weekend I thought I better get some metal cutting done. I am so grateful that I get to build show gardens and I know that I don't approach creating a show garden in the same way that other designers do . I'm guessing the normal way is if you want a woven willow fence you find a crafts person who weaves willow to create one for you , I want a willow fence and I learn to do it myself, because learning new skills and crafts make me happy, so far over the past 3 years Brian and I have learned to weave willow(he was better at it than me) , hazel arches, build a pond , create bespoke water features , work with wood , build a Shepard hut from onion boxes (hard but worth it) (it will get rebuilt in our garden ) ,create stained glass windows, and my latest skill metal cutting with a plasma cutter has to be my favorite , I could literally do it all day long , oh hang on I did -today ! And I loved every second of it . First I measured and cut the oil barrels to fit , I decided that plenty of metal is precision cut and the beauty of plasma cutting is the curves you can achieve. So I cut the parts where the drums overlap straight and the parts you see in wavy lines, they will partly be covered by the plants overhanging . Once I had cut all the drums in half , I started drawing the designs on them , I'm going for a botanical illustration feel I started with clover and then did a dark blue one with salad burnet and lastly one based on birds foot trefoil . By this time it was 7pm and raining hard. a lovely lady walking her dog boris asked if she could take shelter in the barn and we had a nice chat , it turns out she's a keen gardener and has open her garden many times with the ngs and is going to Hampton court this year ! After she left I decided to call it a day and went in for tea , only then did I notice that my face was filthy from the plasma cutting ! Haha what  must she have thought . 

No comments:

Post a Comment